Monday, November 14, 2016

Freezer Meal Prep Day

Lots happened over this last weekend.

It was a 3 day weekend, with Remembrance Day being on Friday. 

Will and I always attend the service at Sappers Cenotaph.  It was a great service.  The weather was warm, and it was slightly overcast with the sun breaking through every now and then.  It was solemn and beautiful as we sang the national anthem, and watched the parade lower their flags.  The few poems that were read were touching.  And watching the serviceman with their heads bowed - serving at their posts around the cenotaph always chokes me up.

We left the service promptly when it was finished to beat the traffic jam of people, and did quite well to escape the mass of people trying to exit.

We immediately drove out to EB games to try and get the NES classic console set.  There were no pre-orders available.  It was first come - first serve.  On a day where people should be paying respects and thanks to our servicemen and women, people went to video game stores to line up.  We got there as soon as we possibly could.  And the store sold out 6 people in front of me.  Same story at all stores.  Sold out as soon as they opened the doors.

But I tell you this .... you will be mine NES classic .. YOU WILLLLLLL!!!!!  (That reference is just for my dear husband, whose name is Will, but this quote has an entirely different frame of reference for us that we love dearly.)


Once the hopes of getting an NES classic on launch day had been squashed, we moved along with the rest of plans for the day.

I had to do all the grocery shopping for a Freezer Meal Prep Day that I had planned with 2 friends for the next day, Saturday November 12th.

I had ordered all my meat online from Save-On-Foods and had it delivered to my house thursday night.

Then I went to Costco, Walmart and Save-On again for all the canned goods and fresh veggies.  (The carts didn't seem that full, but when I was hauling it all into my friends house - it was a lot!)



We made 8 of the recipes from this list:
10-Healthy-Crockpot-Freezer-Meals
(We didn't make the pot roast or the bourbon chicken.)

This is the first time I've ever participated in something like this, so I led the charge and my friends were happy with my choices and decisions.  I picked the recipes and adapted them to 4 servings each.  I adapted them to be used in our electric pressure cookers either on the fast pressure cook mode, or on the slow cook mode.  I also adapted them all to use homemade spice blends and marinades rather than prepackaged ones.

 
We made a total of 192 portions - costing us about $1.88/portion.  We made 48 freezer bags (6 bags of each recipe) and we got to take home 16 bags each (2 of each recipe).

It took us 4.5 hours, and we worked almost non-stop.  We had a short lunch in the middle.  (Which I made in the slow cooker while we preppped. - I made a modified version of this recipe: creamy roasted cauliflower chowder)

Carey did all the meat handling, Mandy did the veggies and I did sauces, marinades and spice blends.

It was hard work but so worth while.  (look at our red faces!)



The way it works for my family of 2 is, I get 16 dinners and 32 lunches or I get 32 dinners.

Healthy, happy tummies for weeks to come.

Sunday was a day of rest.  I sat and watched more of The Hobbit (again) and then started on the bonus discs - and crocheted.

And there you have it friends.

Fondly,
Mrs B

Social Media Links:
Facebook: charity.gruenwald
Twitter: @cgruenwald
Instagram: nicaoidh77
Pinterest: nicaoidh77
Snapchat: MrsBeekeeper

No comments:

Post a Comment