Thursday, September 29, 2016

Recipe: Cajun One Pot Pasta

A friend posted a Tasty video on Facebook the other day.  Jotting down the ingredients as the video played, I realized I had everything (except the cream).  So I picked up some cream on the way home and got to preparing the meal.

The highlights of this dish were to be: homemade smoked farmer sausage that a friend made and we bartered for, homemade Parmesan cheese that I made in March and had let ripen for 6 months, and my pressure cooker (Instant Pot).

(Bartering / Trading is a favourite of mine.  I love homemade and traded for items.  Coming soon will be a recipe using bear sausage, deer steaks and moose steak that I recently traded some custom knitting for.)

The farmer sausage was so amazing.  The smoked flavour provided a lovely mellow compliment to the spicy cayenne in the dish.

The Parmesan was so satisfying to finally try.  I'm glad I watched a ton of videos on Parmesan before making it, because I definitely had to employ a Parmesan cutting technique to get the wheel open.  (Watch the linked video to see what I watched.)



Adapting the cooking process to my pressure cooker wasn't for time savings, it was for tenderness and flavour enhancement.  I didn't have to cook my chicken and sausage all the way before adding everything else, because the pressure process would finish the cooking.  And the pressure would also infuse the flavours more intensely.

Recipe:
Cajun One Pot Pasta - Serves 4
(I halved the original recipe since there is only 2 of us.  I got a full 4 servings (1-1/4 cup / serving) from the half recipe - so that is what I will reference below.  I added a little more spice than called for.  Will doesn't like food extra spicy and he found this to be an ok amount.)




2 tbsp olive oil
1 chicken breast, diced
250g farmer sausage, sliced
2 tsp Cajun seasoning **
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2.5 cups chicken broth
250g uncooked pasta
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan

**As per the Tasty video, I made my own Cajun seasoning with equal parts: cayenne, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper.  I used a tsp of each to make the mix, used 2 tsps in the meal and had some leftover for the next Cajun meal.



Also, I actually added 2 cups of mushrooms because we love them and I had them on hand and they needed to be used up.  I had two large portabella mushrooms, which it is important to note that you should remove the gills of portabellas or they can get slimy.



Heat a skillet and add the oil, diced chicken and sausage.  Cook through.
Add Cajun seasoning and stir to coat.
Add garlic and veggies and cook until softened.
Add chicken broth and pasta.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
Add cream and Parmesan at the end.

To convert to pressure cooker, after I added the broth and pasta, I set for 8 minutes and let it do a 5 minute NPR (natural pressure release).  The food was cooked to perfection!





We both enjoyed this meal so much, and I had 2 lunches left for work.

And there you have it friends.

Fondly,
Mrs B

Social Media Links:
Facebook: charity.gruenwald
Twitter: @cgruenwald
Instagram: nicaoidh77
Pinterest: nicaoidh77
Snapchat: MrsBeekeeper

No comments:

Post a Comment