Thursday, August 18, 2016

Canning Season

I'm in the middle of canning season, so I thought it would be appropriate to write about.

If gardening season goes according to plan, canning season should be an enjoyable experience of processing foods that come ripe in a calm sequential order.  Somehow, this method always seems to escape me.  It's feast or famine.  I have multiple batches of things ready all at the same time, and then nothing for days.

This year I really wanted to be organized and prepared.  Part of my chaos is that my space is very small.  I have very little counter space, a small table, and very little storage in my kitchen.  When I started this canning season, I had prepared space in my spare room.  I cleaned and organized.  I bought new shelving.  The plan was to pull out what I needed, do the canning, and put everything back in its place.  The reality is, I have bowls and jars and supplies all over.  I haven't seen the surface of my kitchen table in weeks.

Here's an honest picture:

The other side of the kitchen looks much the same.

I don't have a place to store ripe produce as it comes ripe, in order to prep one day and then can the next.  And I certainly don't have the space to store ripe produce to wait for the weekend.  It's been a lot of - go to work all day, come home and can until late in the evening.

So if I manage anything, it's just to barely clean up the canning mess, while waiting for jars to cool down.


It's exhausting.  But I love it.

There is something very special about preserving your own food.  Knowing what ingredients and care go into it.  The satisfaction of not just being able to prepare a meal from foods, but to prepare the foods that go into those meals.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will share recipes, methods and results for specific items.  I've already done blueberry jam, swiss chard, green beans, pickles, relish, potatoes, turnips, peaches & pears.  I'm still waiting for tomatoes, corn, carrots, apples and pumpkins.  I did enough beets last year that I don't need to this year.  I have processed a few things from my herb garden, but sadly I let it get overgrown.  I'll see what I can salvage from it.

Fondly,
Mrs B

Social Media Links:
Facebook: charity.gruenwald
Twitter: @cgruenwald
Instagram: nicaoidh77
Pinterest: nicaoidh77
Snapchat: MrsBeekeeper

3 comments:

  1. I made a half batch of this recipe this last week with cucumbers from my garden. I am about to have a ton of them shortly. http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2014/08/bread-butter-pickles-one-of-great.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Chef John!!!! Let me know how you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love em, they didn't take long to be ready either. That being said I ate half of them in two days before the flavor had time to seep in. I was to impatient.

    ReplyDelete